"I'll land the job by end of year."
One of the biggest source of stress I see in my clients is that they set a goal on something they can't control, and then they put a timeline on it.
You might get promoted someday. But promoted by next year? That part isn't yours to decide.
You can do everything right. You can be exactly the person who deserves it. And a budget freeze, a reorg, or one person's opinion can still take it off the table.
You already know the advice here. Focus on what you can control. That part is easy to say. The hard part is that it doesn't tell you what to actually do.
Because there are so many paths in front of you. Get the certification. Deliver the big project. Build your network. Each one sounds reasonable. So which is the right one?
Most people turn it into a probability game. If I get this credential, my odds go up. If I nail this project, I'll stand out. That's not wrong. But it keeps your whole sense of whether you chose well tied to an outcome you still don't control.
So I ask something different.
What if you do all of it, and you still don't get what you wanted? How would you feel?
The answer isn't the same for every path. And that difference is the whole thing.
For some paths, the honest answer is that it was wasted. I didn't want another certification. I wanted the job. I gave up my evenings, my weekends, time with my family, my own health, and it bought me nothing.
For other paths, the answer is different. Even without the outcome, I'd have grown. I'd be a sharper professional and a bigger person. I'd have elevated my own ground, so the options I can't even see yet would open up. And it was fun. I did my best. I have no regret.
That second kind of path is the right one for you.
Not the one with the best odds. The one you'd still be glad you walked, even if it never pays off the way you hoped.
I found my own version of this question a long time ago.
As a kid, I thought hard about what I wanted to be, and I narrowed it down to two. One was archaeologist. Digging up evidence of ancient civilizations felt thrilling. The other was physicist. Understanding how the whole universe works sounded incredible. I went back and forth for a long time.
Then one day I asked myself a strange question. If I never became the archaeologist or the physicist, if I just cleaned their research buildings, would I still be happy?
My gut answered before I could think it through.
For archaeology, cleaning the building felt like nothing. But for physics, sweeping the floors of that building still felt like being part of it. Still contributing, in some small way, to how humans come to understand the universe. That still meant something to me.
So I chose physics.
I spent about twenty years there. Undergrad, graduate school, a postdoc. And then I left.
I still don't have any regret. I had fun. I learned more than I can measure. I met my husband there, and made friends I still have. Physics is how I found my way into data science, which became my career. And it's why I get to sit here now and tell you this story, and hopefully help you find your own answer.
None of that was the outcome I set out for. And all of it was worth it.
That's the test. Not "which path gives me the best shot at the thing I want?" It's "which path would I still choose if the thing I want never comes?"
The paths that only pay off when you win leave you fragile. The one that pays off either way is where your real ground is.
If you never got the outcome you're chasing, which path would you still be glad you walked?
No comments:
Post a Comment